Sunday, September 28, 2008

On the Discipline of Submission (part 1)

About a year ago, I read the book, Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes. What an amazing challenge it was! The Lord used this book in so many ways to convict me and change me. Since then, some of the areas in my life that the Lord started changing I have allowed continued growth. Some areas I have chosen to close off to His changing power. Some areas I just needed reminding. So I have made it a goal to read this book every year. It has been so helpful for my spiritual growth with practical applications for obedience.

It would be an excellent book for all women to read. I picked my copy up from OM books. Her husband, Kent, has also written Disciplines of a Godly Man.

I particularly want to reflect on the third chapter of Disciplines of a Godly Woman: “The Discipline of Submission”. The next few posts I will make are some things that I missed or had forgotten since the last time I read it.

“Some people correctly believe that submitting involves acting in a kind and considerate way toward another person, but far more often submission is regarded to be degrading or belittling.” (p. 34)

For so long I have seen submission as a negative concept. I have rights and I intend to stand up for those rights no matter what! Because of my negative understanding of submission, I have treated many people unkindly and inconsiderately to make sure I was treated fairly.

But submission is treating others kindly and considerately by putting their needs ahead of mine. That doesn’t mean I can’t stand up for my rights, it just means I consider others’ needs before I blurt out my needs and “rights”. I can still make my needs and opinions known, but it should be in a gentle and kind way, not a demanding and inconsiderate way. We should all submit to one another, treating one another with kindness and consideration (Ephesians 5:21).

2 comments:

  1. Shannon, shannon...I wish I would've read this post before I went to the mall today in Delhi!!! As I stood in line at my favorite store (Mothercare) two people tried to get in front of me. I was about to say something to the first lady--but, my the Lord's grace she decided she was too impatient to wait for the people paying, so she went downstairs to the other cashier--God really protected that lady! : ) Then another lady came to get in front of me...but I was too quick for this aging woman and put my things on the counter for the cashier....I didn't really put this AGING woman's needs in front of mine. I really need to learn to submit to the Indian way??? agh! Okay... Thanks for the reminder! : ) Love ya! Kari

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you recommended this book to me a year ago, I put it on my amazon wish-list and my father gave it to me for Christmas. However, with all of the moving...it's been in storage since January! We just unpacked our books, and now I'm reminded by this post why I wanted it in the first place!!! :O) I'm so excited to read it - and so so glad you're back online! Missed you!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails