Thursday, February 12, 2009

On My Stovetop (Better-Than-Cracker-Barrel-Chicken-Dumplings)

I haven't shared a recipe in awhile and I was getting several requests for my chicken and dumplings, so I thought I'd post my "recipe" here. I couldn't find a recipe for this when I made it the first time, so it's actually an "original" recipe that I just made up! And I just have to say (with the risk of sounding like I'm bragging) it's better than Cracker Barrel chicken and dumplings (or at least as good)! :)


  • Fill a 3 quart pot with water about 3/4ths of the way.
  • Add 3-4 Tbsp chicken bouillon
  • Add 1 or 2 chopped onions
  • Add 4 chicken quarters or 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer for 1 1/2 - 2 hours
If you used chicken quarters, remove them and set them aside to cool, reserving the broth. If you used chicken breasts you can just add the dumplings to the broth and meat without removing it.
*****Edited to add the following: At this point, add more water to refill the pot and add one more Tbsp chicken bouillon.*****
  • 4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp baking powder
  • 2 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 2 cups milk
Mix and drop by spoonfuls into the broth. Simmer for 20-30 more minutes. If you used boned chicken, remove the chicken from the bones after it has cooled. Add chicken during the last 10 minutes. Enjoy!

You can serve it with cinnamon apples to make it even more like you're dining at Cracker Barrel. And then throw a triangle peg game on the table and you've got yourself the real deal, y'all!

You can freeze any leftovers to enjoy it again next week without all the work!

Let me know if you try this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails