Monday, March 30, 2009

On What We Do for Chores

Chickadee over at A Familiar Path posted about how she organizes her kids' chores. I thought it was a great thing to share with you all and an opportunity for me to write about what we do in our house for chores.

Lil Pumpkin and Sweet Pea have only one assigned daily chore (for now) - to make their beds in the morning. Each one earns one rupee (which is the equivalent of two cents) for making her bed with a happy heart. If her attitude is poor, she is still required to make her bed but she does not earn the rupee. I figure this helps them both learn to work with a happy heart, which is pleasing to the Lord.

We have a little "store" in a cabinet in the dining room where we keep small candies and other items. They are allowed to spend their rupee on candy, which only costs one ruppee, or they can save up their rupees to purchase a different item. The store "opens" at 10 am (because Lil Pumpkin has tried to buy candy at 8 in the morning! haha), and maybe that is a bit early for them to be having candy but that's what we do because I don't want to listen to the nagging all day ("Is the store open yet, Mommy?"). And most real stores open at 10 am around here anyway (so that makes it more realistic, right?) I even dialogue to the kids with a pleasant, "Welcome to the store. What would you like to purchase today? Candy? Ok. That will be one rupee, please. Thank you. Have a nice day." It's a fun thing for us all.

On a related note, I have never been through Financial Peace University nor read The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, but I have heard wonderful things about it. And I found out they also have Financial Peace Jr. which I think might be a great thing for any kid. Have any of you seen this or used it with your own kids? Do your kids do chores? How do you organize them?

Melissa and Doug make a cute magnetic chore chart that would make a great gift!

5 comments:

  1. Heh heh. This topic is like some other things in our home-- definitely not regimented. I've tried various charts, daily routines, etc... and so far, it's just not something I implement well. And none of the kids (so far) absolutely *NEED* something like that to thrive. So. We don't. :)

    Generally though, they each help with certain things... someone "helps" me with cooking once/day. We all work together and set the timer for 15 minutes when we need to clean up the living room. Sometimes I'll ask them to help me clear off the table, or set it, or help me put away books/a certain toyset/etc. But even though far from regimented... they still do help regularly and are expected to help with a good attitude. That's our general approach.

    Sounds like you're doing a good job getting it to be routine & implementing desirable rewards! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cute idea :) I may have to steal it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I<3 Dave!! :)

    We haven't purchased the Financial Peace set for kids yet, but we plan to, once Noah is a little older. We do have a friend though, who is using it with their four year old and it works great! I'm not sure how they {personally} organize it all, but I do know that Dave suggests commissions, not allowances. Just like a salesman makes a commission on a car, so does the child when they finish a chore. And I love the fact that you added with a "happy hear"... I'm going to use that one with our kiddos!

    One thing he recommends though, is making sure that you make it possible for them to learn to save and give, as well as spend. So, for example, for making their bed, you might give them 3 rupees: one to spend now, one to save for later for something "big", and one to give away {as a tithe or to someone in need}. It's almost like a mini-budget for the kiddos! We've actually already bought Noah one of those Larry Burkett banks that has a store, church, and bank, just for this purpose! {I think it's called My Giving Bank.} Dave just says to use any type of clear container, like a mason jar, when they are little.

    Anyway, you touched on one of my favorite subjects and I didn't mean to write a novel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam,
    That is great a great idea! Thanks! We made our little jars for Spend, Save, and Give today. I'll post pics later. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're such a good mommy! We don't have any set chores for the kids but they are required to help me when its asked of them, like setting the table, or helping with the laundry, putting toys away, etc. I have never thought about rewarding them for helping with a "happy heart". We do talk about doing things that is pleasing to God and not doing things that is not pleasing to God, but I love the happy heart idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails