Wednesday, May 20, 2009

On a Really Simple Yogurt Recipe


Awhile back I posted some recipes for popsicles and smoothies. One commenter asked how I made yogurt for our smoothies, so I thought I'd post the process I use to make homemade yogurt. I actually only recently started making my own yogurt because all of the recipes I found seemed daunting and I was afraid I would ruin a batch. But I've figured out how to make the process incredibly simple, and I have yet to ruin it!

Ingredients:
  • 2 liters of 2% milk/whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons powdered milk
  • 500 grams plain yogurt
Process:
  1. Pour 2 liters of milk into a large pot.
  2. Bring the milk to a boil and then turn off the heat.
  3. Add 2 tablespoons of powdered milk and stir to dissolve.
  4. Let the milk cool a bit (about 35-45 minutes during an Indian summer, a little less in the winter). {At this point I usually wander off and do something else and tend to forget to check on it.} You want the milk to be cool enough that it doesn't hurt when you put your finger in it so that it doesn't kill the active bacteria in the yogurt. So, don't rush this step (but if it cools too much, you can correct that- I'll explain how in a minute; trust me! Like I said....I usually wander off and forget to check on the milk temp so it happens quite often that I let it cool too much - haha).
  5. Once the milk has cooled, add 500 grams of plain yogurt.
  6. Cover and set aside.
  7. It usually takes 3-4 hours (again, Indian summer months...longer in the cooler months) for the yogurt to set.
  8. If you check on it and it doesn't seem to be setting, you can put the whole batch back on the stove for about a minute - just long enough to heat it up to get the yogurt growing. Again - don't let it get too hot!

Like I said, I have yet to ruin a batch. Let me know if it works for you!

If you'd like a more precise recipe that includes temperatures, check out Jennifer's blog and the guest post by her husband that she posted.

5 comments:

  1. These do sound yummy!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have dreams that I would be that mom that makes homemade yogurt and granola and weaves my own cloth, but...
    This seems simple enough that I may just try to tackle it. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always heard how easy it was, and now I see the rumors were true. :) I think it's funny that you have to have yogurt to make yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have tried this in Minnesota, and I must say, having a house that is usually 85 to 90 degrees is very helpful in making yogurt. Our Minnesota yogurt has been much less successful.
    Lowell
    PS: We like to add a little cream to our mix to make it a little smoother and thicker. Varanasi milk is a little thin on the idea of milk fat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can also use acidophilus instead of yogurt to get the live cultures in.

    All of the recipes that I have read so far (I've made only one of them) were with 100% powdered milk.

    I liked it okay with one brand of powdered milk, but when I tried it with another brand, we all hated it, and I had made 4 quarts that time.

    Interesting to see that you use fresh milk and powdered milk. I also like that you bring it just to a boil. The recipe I used had it heated to 180, which I found REALLY difficult to do without it scorching (it did fine up to about 140º).

    I'll have to check out your popsicle recipes; I make homemade popsicles too. It's already 105 here, so popsicles are the perfect afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails