Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On Learning (from a Mouse) to Find Contentment

Last night as I headed to bed (around 11:30 - what was I thinking?), crossing through the kitchen right by the stove, I saw it - two beady little eyes staring at me and then quickly turning to disappear under the right back burner. Ugh! A mouse. I scampered off to my room with a little screech (at the risk of waking the kids).

Then, just as I was about to doze off, I could hear that dern mouse walking on my dirty dishes. ching * ching * ching. (Guess that's what I get for not doing the dishes.) And then he knocked a spoon on to the floor. CLANG! (Like my sound effects?)

At that point, I did not care that it was midnight - that mouse HAD to go. "Lee. Lee. Wake up. The mouse in the kitchen is eating all of our food. He just knocked the dishes off the counter! Please go get it." (And I wonder why my daughters are such drama queens....)

Hubby stumbled to the kitchen and tried to smash the mouse with my brand new, unworn $6 flip-flops from Wal-Mart. (Eww! Gross!) No success (thank God). Then, after just enough effort to satisfy me, he laid out a glue trap on the counter.

This morning, the glue trap had a little bitty spider on it, but no mouse (though there was plenty of mouse poop on the counter and a partially eaten banana).

Other things that annoy me about where I'm at right now:
  • roaches
  • a leaking, stinking toilet
  • expected plumbers that didn't show last night
  • unexpected plumbers the next morning (and I was still in my p.j.s)
  • snakes in the road that keep me from going on all those long walks I dreamed about in India
  • unscheduled days that make planning meals and library trips much more complicated

So...we have a mouse in the house...and we're not even in India! And that is the exact point of this post: in spite of what I tell myself on those tough days in India, America is NOT perfect.

But, when I opened the curtains after Daddy took the girls over to "Aunt 'Chelle's" house to play and to give me some quiet time, and I saw the four beautiful horses that graze in the land right beside our rent house, and saw the beautiful, blue, Oklahoma sky, I remembered what "Aunty Mindy" said:
"You have to learn to be content wherever you are."

{To read what others are learning, check out What I Learned This Week @ Musings of a Housewife.}

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm sorry but why did u freak out on a mouse!! But that was a wise thing to do: get a guy to take care of it. That's what I would do.
    LOL

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails