Thursday, June 25, 2009

On My Nose

One thing that I really enjoy about living in India is the beautiful jewelry and how it is used to show a woman is married. A married woman wears:
I consistently wear most of these, especially when I go out in India. (A friend of mine shared that for the sindoor she just uses red lipstick, and it works...so that's what I do too!) And, yes, for those of you who don't know me personally or haven't seen me in awhile, I do have my nose pierced (I've had it pierced for 3 years).

When in India, I wear a rather large diamond and gold nose pin that my hubby bought me. (It is a symbol of how much your husband loves you, so the bigger it is the more he loves ya!) But now that I'm in the US for a while, I feel like I get some funny looks and even comments about my "piercing". So, for those of you who live in South Asia and have your noses pierced, I have a question:
What do you do about your nose piercing while in the States where people see it as a sort of rebellion or as counter cultural?



6 comments:

  1. wow hard to picture you with a nose ring but I think its really neat. I love how you guys love your calling to India!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My nose piercing is small, and I live in a big city, so it's not uncommon. But every now and then I'll get comments and teased, and I just shrug and say, "I used to live in India. I got it done there." They seem to understand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were in the US I continued to wear my big, gaudy nose ring (mainly because that was the only one I had). I was actually really surprised at how many people have their noses pierced now - it doesn't seem like such a rebellious thing now.
    If people at churches say anything about my nose ring, I like to refer them to the story of Isacc and Rebecca (in a nice way) where it says that she had a nose ring. :) Usually stuns them enough that they don't say anything after that. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still feel self-conscious about mine here after being back for two years. But when people have asked me about it, I tell them why I had it done, and that it reminds me every time I look in the mirror to pray for the women of India. That usually takes away their concern. On a funny note, my new friend Sowjanya (is from Hyderabad, lives here) does NOT have her nose pierced because she's afraid of the pain. Her husband keeps referring to my nose pin and how pretty it is, trying to convince her to have it done! She says it makes me look more Indian than her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mine is on the smaller side, but still a good size. I guess I'm lucky in the fact that, there are so many girls here at OBU that have nose rings too, so it's the "IN" thing. If people ever ask me about it, I tell them about women in India and why I have mine, that usually ends the convo. about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! I had a lot of people ask me about my nose ring and for the older church ladies I just explained to them that it was a cultural thing in India and they were cool with it :)

    I use liquid sindoor - you would like it - you put it on with a lip gloss-like appplicator, but it dries, so it won't smear off - I like it a lot :) You can even get it with glitter in it :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails