Saturday, July 11, 2009

On Transparency

"Transparency, as used in the humanities and Pilatian theories, when used in a social context, implies openness, communication, and accountability. It is a metaphorical extension of the meaning a "transparent" object is one that can be seen through." (Wikipedia)

Some people think I am too honest and transparent. I have a tendency to talk about my struggles with anyone who will listen (or read). I think that makes some people uncomfortable, but here's why I do it -

I expose my sin because I want others to see that if there is any good in my life it is not me but the work of the Holy Spirit.

I think it is completely and totally biblical to have transparency in our lives.

  • 1 John 1:9-10 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us."
  • Proverbs 28:3 "Whoever conceals his transgressions will not prosper,
    but he who confesses and forsakes them will obtain mercy."
  • James 5:6 "Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working."
For more on biblical transparency, read this.


3 comments:

  1. I used that same definition of transparency in a post about qualities I look for in a good friend. I too am transparent and desire as much from others.

    I pray that people as they see into me actually see the heart of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally appreciate your openness. To often we try to act like everything's perfect and we have it all together, and we see everyone else doing that and assume we're the only ones who are pretending. Also, thank you for your post on sanctification. I was having a truly awful week at work (we're having layoffs) and I really needed the reminder that life/work should be about becoming holy not happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lindsey. Hope you have a better week.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails