Friday, August 28, 2009

How We Make the Workbox System Work for a 4 year old and 2 year old

I thought I'd post a few pictures of how we have adapted the workbox system to work for us. I picked up some of these colorful closet organizers from WalMart as well as the garment rack to hang the organizers from.


The night before, I look over both girls' course of study. I fill each cubby with one subject or activity, including everything needed for that task.


The next day, during "school" time, Lil Pumpkin takes everything that is in one cubby out and we sit down and work on the activity together. When we are done, we put it in a pile on the floor and go to the next task. Right now, her course of study is as follows:
In Sweet Pea's cubbies, I keep ziplock bags of activities or tot trays she can complete on her own. I also use ideas from Hubbard's Cupboard 2 year old curriculum and Letter of the Week's Preparatory Curriculum. Most of the activities from Hubbard's Cupboard and Letter of the Week we do together because Lil Pumpkin enjoys them too.

In addition to this 30 minute to 1 hour time slot of "school", we learn throughout the day in natural ways such as baking, playing outside, chores, and just simple questions that come up - we take the time to explore the answers.

What do you do to organize your preschooler or toddler's learning time?

1 comment:

  1. Cute idea!! This DEFINITELY thrills my heart that craves organization in every way! Will have to put this in the back of my mind for Sawyer in the next few years!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails