Thursday, August 27, 2009

On A Recipe for Burger Buns

Here's a recipe I use for burger buns or even just as dinner rolls.

Burger Buns

Ingredients

2 cups milk

1/4 cup margarine, melted

1/4 cup warm water

1/4 cup white sugar

2 (.25 ounce) packages instant yeast

2 teaspoons salt

6 cups all-purpose flour, or as needed (I use 3 cups white, 3 cups wheat)

Directions

  1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the milk, margarine, warm water, sugar and yeast. Let stand for about 5 minutes.
  3. Mix in the salt, and gradually stir in the flour until you have a soft dough. Divide into 25 pieces, and form into balls. Place on baking sheets so they are 2 to 3 inches apart.
  4. Let rise for 20 minutes.
  5. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the rolls for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool slightly, then split them in half horizontally to fill with your favorite burgers.
While I've got you here for a recipe, can you tell me how you organize your menus? I still haven't quite gotten this down yet, so I'd love some ideas! Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Well on a spreadsheet, of course! haha

    I organize them by appetizer, entree, dessert, and breakfast. One column has a couple of the main ingredients (so if I have, say, zucchini that's about to go bad, I can search on the xls for a recipe with zucchini), one column has the cookbook/website it's in (with the page), and the last column has James' rating, 1-10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course you use a spreadsheet. :)

    I like the idea of having James' rating for each recipe.

    Lee suggested that I could use my Mac's spotlight to search for recipes that have a certain ingredient. That will work for the recipes that I have on my computer, but I'll have to figure out something else for the ones I have in cookbooks.

    Thanks for the ideas. Do you create a weekly menu and shopping list or just buy general ingredients and choose your meals day-by-day (that's what I'm doing right now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used to, I shopped daily, or maybe for two days. But part of my planning is now creating a weekly meal plan and grocery shopping accordingly. I used to do this before I had kids back when I worked...I would do a 2 week meal plan, because I hated wasting any free time at the grocery store! But lots of stuff went bad that way, because things would come up, or we'd have more leftovers than I had planned on, etc. So this weekly thing is working out REALLY well so far...

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails