Friday, September 11, 2009

A Lesson in Economics for a 4 year old...(or maybe it was for mommy)

We love the My First Little House Books. One of our favorites is "Happy Birthday, Laura!" and we love singing "Pop Goes the Weasel" right along with Pa.


This morning, Lil Pumpkin walked into the kitchen as I was finishing breakfast, holding up a spool of red thread.

"Mommy, what's this?"

"Umm...It's thread."

"I know THAT. But what's it on?"

"Oh. That's a spool. You know, like in the song 'Pop Goes the Weasel'."

And I commence singing, "A penny for a spool of thread, a penny for a needle. That's the way the money goes. Pop goes the weasel."

"Oh. Okay."

"When Laura (Little House on the Prairie) was alive, a spool of thread only cost a penny. But you know how much this spool of thread cost? Twenty-nine pennies! Prices sure have gone up since Laura's time, haven't they?"

"Yeah."


It was a teaching moment in my mind.  Not sure I had her attention though!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Would love to chat a bit. I'm also a mom to three girls, an American living in India. I homeschool the younger two and the oldest goes to boarding school in Ooty. Where are you guys at?
    sarahscovenanthomes@ymail.com
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails