Wednesday, September 2, 2009

On Managing My Time Well (a review of Managers of Their Homes)

Being the mother of three children has really stretched my time management skills. Simply put: I've tried to organize my time but have never quite seemed to manage it very well.

I had heard about Managers of Their Homes (MOTH) from several sources, but I finally decided to order it when I received my Sonlight curriculum that had a bookmark enclosed advertising the Titus 2 website.

I dug right in and started reading. You know me...I'm a sucker for all things organized! MOTH is a resource I would recommend to anyone who wants to manage their time well, whether you enjoy organization or hate it, homeschool or don't.

Over the course of the past week, I carried this book with me everywhere (as those of you who were at the family reunion can testify). I examined my priorities and goals. (In fact, this was a repeated theme over the entire month! Mark Driscoll has an excellent sermon on planning that I worked through.) And I wrote out several activity lists. I recognized I need to prune out some activities, but the Lord wanted me to take it even further.
One of the steps to creating my schedule in MOTH was to list out all of the tasks I believe that God wants me to accomplish in a day and to write out an amount of time I think it will take to accomplish each task. As I began to make this list, I realized where large portions of my time are being spent. I felt the Lord leading me to prune some of these areas and to not only eliminate certain activities but to reduce the amount of time I spend on others. Let me just say this has not been an easy thing and it kinda hurts!

But today, I feel a sense of accomplishment. I finished the final schedule and even implemented parts of it today. I'll try to get the remainder of the schedule into action over the next few days. I'm really looking forward to managing my time well, and so far Managers of Their Homes works for me.




Aren't the colors so pretty? :) I think it's my favorite thing about the whole system!

I also love the ideas they give to assign time for the kids to have one-on-one play time as well as designated times to play alone. Lil Pumpkin really likes the idea of having a special time that she can play with paper dolls all by herself, without worrying that her little sisters will rip them up.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. I have had this for awhile but never used it, ahhh! I should! Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny that God's been working on us in the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment! :)

    Second, I will have to look into this. I am really tryng to re-work my routines and schedules. I know there must be a way to not feel like a failed "Wonder Woman" and find a peaceful and happy medium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lists and graphs and charts? Oh my! I'm in :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOhh, I like it! {I zoomed in on each picture... nice!} I've been using FlyLady for the same effect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love LOVE this book!

    Only I print my chart in Excel.

    I recently redid the schedule and it is so much better when I stick to it!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails