Monday, November 23, 2009

On an Easy Thanksgiving Banner

The girls and I made this quick craft (while I was in the middle of making dinner).




I had originally sent them out to gather leaves to make this project.

But, alas (*sigh), all the leaves in our yard were already dead.  No.color.left.in.them.  (But it did get the kids outside to play for awhile.)

So, I grabbed some construction paper in fall colors, which is what any homeschooling mama does when there are no leaves to collect, and I traced their little hands.  Everyone knows that around Thanksgiving the best thing to make from traced little hands is leaves - and turkeys.  Right?

Then, I cut out those precious hand shapes.  Since I have three little ones, I was able to get three different sized leaves.  A nice touch.




I went ahead and let the girls do some painting on the backside of the "leaves" because around our house there are absolutely not enough reasons to paint, according to my 4 year old.


I grabbed some twine that I had lying around for another project and paper clipped the hand-leaves to the twine.  Then I spelled out H-A-P-P-Y on one strand and T-H-A-N-K-S-G-I-V-I-N-G on the other for a perfect little Thanksgiving Banner, though not quite as sophisticated as Joy's.

Sophisticated isn't always practical in a house full of little ones though, now is it?






Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon!
    Thank you for leaving me a comment. I am so excited for find your blog and see in a quick glance all that we share in common! I am very excited to follow along and get to know your more as you are "Seeking to Glorify".
    Love & Blessings from Hong Kong,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is adorable, and I bet so much more precious than what you would have come up with if the leaves weren't already dead!

    I'll try this one with my nieces on Thursday -- how else could we wait for apple pie?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute idea! Who needs sophisticated?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! My mother-in-law has a thankgiving b-day and I was just searching for homemade gift ideas. I think we will make a "Happy Birthday" Banner with our three little ones.

    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you can use this idea. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails