Wednesday, November 18, 2009

On A New Addition to Our Morning Routine

I don't like to get up early in the mornings.  I like my sleep.  But, my kids tend to be early risers.  They have been known to crawl in bed with us at 5:30 or 6:00 am 3:30 or 4:00am.  In order for me to get anything done before they wake up in the mornings I have had to get up around 5:30 or 6:00 myself.

This has been a very stretching process for me.  Like I said - I.don't.like.getting.up.early.  But it has been an essential and amazing time to meet with the Lord, run over my to-do list, and sometimes get in some exercise (another thing I don't like doing).

Something that we have adopted lately that has been completely helpful for us in many ways is to make the rule that the girls are not allowed to leave their bedroom in the mornings until the clock says 7:00.

Just this morning I was able to

  • start a pot of coffee (and drink one cup - which is a feat in itself!)
  • have my Bible study and prayer time
  • update my to-do list
  • get breakfast started
  • nurse the baby
  • exercise
  • pick up any clutter that was leftover from the night before
  • take a shower
  • start a load of laundry
All before the kids were allowed out of their room.

Of course this isn't to say we don't permit the occasional cuddles in mommy and daddy's bed in the mornings and even a quick trip to the toy box to get something to play with quietly in their room.  But it has been a new addition to our routine that I have come to appreciate.




Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. We have a similar rule. Although, I'll have to admit, the time is a little later... ;) The rule hasn't quite been followed, but at least my oldest will get up, go potty, and then play quietly in the playroom until I'm up and showered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO proud of you! I love when I have mornings like that. I am able to get so much more done during the day and feel so much more ready to start my day. I actually usually do my quiet time during the first part of the kids nap and that works the best for me and our schedule but I have to get in exercise and getting the house in order/to-do list looked over BEFORE they get up or it doesn't get done! Glad you had such a great morning. I have heard about the having the kids wait in their beds until a certain time before and we plan on trying to implement that too once they are in beds (they are still in pack and plays now so we can monitor that pretty well) Glad to hear that it is working for you. Enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your encouragement! That's a great idea to have your quiet time while the kids are napping. I think we just do what we gotta do while the kids are little :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails