Sunday, November 22, 2009

On a Really Simple Homemade Yogurt Tutorial

This was originally posted in May 2009, so if it looks familiar don't worry - you're not having pregnancy brain, (am I the only one who still experiences pregnancy brain even when I'm NOT pregnant?)

I only recently started making my own yogurt because all of the recipes I found seemed daunting and I was afraid I would ruin a batch. But I’ve figured out how to make the process incredibly simple, and I have yet to ruin it!

A Really Simple Homemade Yogurt Tutorial

Ingredients:
  • 2 liters of 2% milk/whole milk
  • 2 tablespoons powdered milk
  • 500 grams plain yogurt

Process:

1. Pour 2 liters of milk into a large pot.

2. Bring the milk to a boil and then turn off the heat.

3. Add 2 tablespoons of powdered milk and stir to dissolve.

4. Let the milk cool a bit (about 35-45 minutes during an Indian summer, a little less in the winter).

{At this point I usually wander off and do something else and tend to forget to check on it.}

You want the milk to be cool enough that it doesn’t hurt when you put your finger in it so that it doesn’t kill the active bacteria in the yogurt. So, don’t rush this step (but if it cools too much, you can correct that- I’ll explain how in a minute; trust me! Like I said….I usually wander off and forget to check on the milk temp so it happens quite often that I let it cool too much – haha).

5. Once the milk has cooled, add 500 grams of plain yogurt.

6. Cover and set aside.

7. It usually takes 3-4 hours (again, Indian summer months…longer in the cooler months) for the yogurt to set.

8. If you check on it and it doesn’t seem to be setting, you can put the whole batch back on the stove for about a minute – just long enough to heat it up to get the yogurt growing. Again – don’t let it get too hot!

Like I said, I have yet to ruin a batch.

Let me know if it works for you!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails