Thursday, December 3, 2009

On a Tutorial for Homemade Whole Wheat Tortillas

The long awaited Tortilla Tutorial (say THAT five times fast!) is here!  Well, it's at least been long waiting for my friend Amy.  I told her I would post this weeks ago but then decided to wait until after Thanksgiving to do it.  Who wants to make tortillas during Thanksgiving?

So, Amy, this post's for you and for anyone else who wants to know how to make whole wheat tortillas from scratch.  It's something I learned how to do once we moved to India.  The Lord has brought me from a life of meals out of a box to cooking wholesome meals from scratch (with still the occasional meal out of a box - hey, I'm only human.)

Homemade Whole Wheat Tortilla Tutorial

Gather your ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup butter (or margarine)
  • 1/2 cup lukewarm water (in the summer in India, it's always warmer than lukewarm straight out of the tap but that's ok.)


Go ahead and get your griddle or skillet heating up on medium heat.  That way it will be ready for your tortillas.

Mix the dry ingredients together and then dump in your butter.



Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter until it becomes crumbly.



Add the water until a dough forms.  You may have to start getting your hands dirty at this point, but things definitely start getting messy in the next step, so go ahead and dive in.



Pinch off some dough, about two inches.  Form the pinched-off dough into a ball just like you do with your kids when you're playing with playdough.



Speaking of kids - give them some of the dough to play with while you're making these tortillas.  It'll keep them busy for a good while.



Sprinkle some flour onto a board or the countertop.  (I've only recently discovered that using my cutting board makes cleanup a whole lot easier than using my countertop.  Don't laugh.  I'm a bit slow.)

 

Squish your ball into a flat round-ish pancake shape.


Get out your rolling pin and start to stretch your pancake into a tortilla.



A little trick I've learned is to roll out the dough one way and then when you flip it over to roll it again,  rotate your tortilla the opposite way (Is that clear as mud or what?  Hopefully the pictures help show what I mean.).  It looks a little square-ish, but keep working with it until you are happy with the shape.  But it doesn't have to be perfectly round. You don't want your tortillas to look store-bought anyway.  Don't you want everyone to know that you worked hard to make these things?



Now toss the tortilla onto the hot griddle for about 30 seconds.

You should start to see little bubbles forming on the top.  That means it's time to flip it.

Flip it and count to 30 again.  When the bubbles start forming, you're tortilla is done. 


Place your tortillas in a warmer or wrap them in a towel on a plate.  Then eat 'em with some fajita seasoned chicken, grilled onions, and green peppers or serve up some eggs mixed with cheese and salsa.   Yum.
  
How do you use tortillas?


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Just made them! Yummmmm! And the kids had fun making theirs in the shape of light sabers, not sure how it will hold their taco meat, but oh well, it was fun. I used oil instead of butter, for my allergy baby, but they taste delish anyway! I will never buy tortillas again, that was soooo easy! And I understood and used adn liked your turning and rotating trick.
    How many do you usually get out of this recipe? I got about 8.
    Do you ever make your own noodles? Now I'm ready to make everything from scratch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've won an award! Go check it out on my blog. Oh, and I use tortillas for breakfast burritos mostly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try these. We eat so many tortillas at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I'm asking for the kitchen aid noodle maker for Christmas, so we'll see... :)

    Thanks for my award! :)

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails