Monday, February 1, 2010

On His Goodness: Lessons Learned from Power Cuts

Yesterday the power went out 30 minutes earlier than it is scheduled to go out (which has been going out an hour earlier than it used to be scheduled to go out).  That means I could not straighten my hair before church.  I'm not bitter about it. The day before that, the power cut just as I was plugging my hair dryer.  That meant all-day-wet-hair. 

So, today I needed to wash my hair, and I was really hoping to dry it too.  But I woke up late and I wasn't sure I was going to make it before the power cut.   But first things first - I really needed my coffee.  {Don't we all?}

I figured, "While I'm drinking my coffee I might as well do something useful while I'm sipping.  I'll go ahead and get started on my Bible reading until I'm done with my coffee, then I'll go wash my hair and see if there's still power to dry my hair by the time I get out."

Low and behold!  A miracle of all miracles happened: there was power passed 9:00 am, and I was able to completely dry my hair, and the power did not cut until I was putting my hair dryer away.

While I was drying my hair, I was praying, "Thank you, Lord for blessing me with just enough power to get this much of my hair dry.  I'm so thankful.  It must be because I chose to read my Bible before washing my hair that you chose to bless me this way today." 

Then the Holy Spirit convicted my heart. 
"Shannon, you did not choose Me over drying your hair.  You chose your coffee.  You did not find your satisfaction in Me.  You found it in your coffee.  I blessed you because I am a good God.  You can do nothing to deserve My blessings.  I do it because I am good."

Ouch.  That hurt. 

Of course, He's right.  There is nothing I can do to earn God's love or goodness.  He is just good.  And I'm thankful for His goodness and kindness every day.  Even those days when the power cuts before I can accomplish all those things that I want to get done that require electricity. 

Lord, I confess I do not find my satisfaction in You.  I want to.  Oh, how I want to be satisfied with only You.  I know You can completely satisfy me, yet I turn to other things for my comfort.  Help me, Lord.  Help us all.


Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Thank you friend! It must make you sick to hear us complaining about no power when you do without it every day. I love you, and I'm so glad you are my friend! It's lovely to hear someone be so honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I've thought that just a time or two. ;) Thanks for the reminder that God's goodness isn't based on my goodness or obedience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When will that ever sink in?? It seems to be a weekly (or is it daily? I'm not telling...;) struggle with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - We have a battery backup that can run some things, so we are not completely without power like you guys have been. And we have never gone more than 24 hours without power. And as cold as it is for you guys, it can be dangerous not to have heat. So I'm definitely not passing judgment for anyone complaining about not having power :) I complain about it often enough myself.

    Emily - I'm right there with ya, sister.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails