Tuesday, October 19, 2010

On a Recipe for Baking Powder Biscuits

After my post on a recipe for Crockpot Apple Butter, someone asked if I had a recipe for biscuits that will work in Asia.  To that I say:

Oh, I have the perfect recipe!  Betty Crocker is my hero.  I always double the recipe for our family, but here is the recipe with the original ingredients and a few of my personal recommendations.


Ingredients 
  • 2 cups flour 
  • 1 T sugar 
  • 3 tsp baking powder 
  • 1 tsp salt 
  • 1/2 cup shortening (I ALWAYS use real butter - we've tried margarine and ghee and it is not good!) 
  • 3/4 cup milk 

Preheat oven to 450 F (230 C).  Combine the dry ingredients and then cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the milk until the dough leaves the sides of the bowl.  Place the dough on a floured surface and knead lightly 10 times (sprinkle a little bit more flour on top to keep it from sticking to your hands).  Pat out to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter or cup.  Place on greased light colored cookie sheet. If the baking sheet is dark the bottoms tend to burn.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes.

Tell me how they turn out for you. We make these weekly!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. So what is the difference for biscuits in Asia verses here? Curiosity.
    My friend has a delicious recipe, self-rising flour, butter crisco and milk. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, so when you order TOG does it come with the grammar, math, spelling, science, etc. Or is that all separate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna have to try these! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy - TOG does not include grammar, math or science.

    And, the difference for biscuits in South Asia is that we can't get self-rising flour or crisco. Everything has to be made from the ingredients we can find here, otherwise it has to be sent to us from the States. :) But your friend's recipe sounds super easy for those who can get the ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So TOG is basically your history and Bible. Then you add to it.
    Thanks for helping me. I really liked what I saw.
    I figured the recipe had to be for lack of ingredients. I never made biscuits from self-rising flour until I met my friend about 6 years ago. I didn't even know you could! Mine were always from scratch like that.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails