Sunday, October 17, 2010

On a Recipe for Crockpot Apple Butter

Earlier in the week I found out that pears are much cheaper than apples this time of year, so I decided we should buy some pears and make pear butter.  I've never tried pear butter, but I love apple butter - especially on warm, made-from-scratch biscuits.  It's one of those wonderful things that just go hand in hand with Fall, isn't it?


I'm really not sure where I got this recipe from, but it has to be the most delicious apple butter I have ever had.  Seriously.


Crockpot Apple Butter
Ingredients
  • 4 cups apples (or pears)
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter (Honestly, this is optional.  I made it with the butter this time and it seemed a bit runnier than I prefer.  I've made it without the butter and it was much thicker which is better in my opinion.  Funny that you can make apple BUTTER without the butter because it's not really butter at all!)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Peel and cube your apples/pears.


Toss them into the crockpot.

Add all other ingredients.


  Be sure to add the KEY ingredient - balsamic vinegar or some other flavored vinegar.
(I've used strawberry wine vinegar before and it was wonderful!)

Turn your crockpot to low and heat for 8 hours or overnight.

Enjoy on biscuits or toast!


Let me know if you try this.  You won't be sorry.  I promise!


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! I'm going to try it tomorrow. Sounds so great. Thanks Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds good but now I need a good homemade biscuit recipe that works in Asia. I have tried many with little success...

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails