Thursday, February 24, 2011

On Homeschooling Week 17

Week 17 took us about 2 1/2 weeks to finish.  While my parents were visiting we took things pretty lightly.


This week we got back into the swing of things.  I tried a few new things with the schedule and brought out some curriculum we had put away for awhile.  
  • Instead of trying to gather the kids together at 9ish, we did calendar time during breakfast.  This turned out to be much better!  While the kids were finishing their breakfast I would play their Seeds Family Worship verse song on my iPhone or computer.
  • Instead of starting preschool with Sweet Pea and having my kindergartener, Little Pumpkin, sit in on it, I had Sweet Pea play a game on PBSkids.org or watch a video with Sugar Plum while Little Pumpkin and I worked on Phonics.  
  • After Phonics, if there was no complaining from Little Pumpkin (three strikes), then she got to play a game on the computer.  Three strikes meant sitting on her bed during her break, but that never happened.  
  • During Little Pumpkin's break, I worked individually with Sweet Pea on RRSP.  My toddler stayed entertained by Elmo.  
  • After working with Sweet Pea, she and her little sister played together while Little Pumpkin and I worked on Math and History up until lunch time or one of the other kids needed me.  If needed, we finished up school during the toddler's nap time after lunch.
  • For Phonics, I pulled out Saxon Phonics 1 again and picked up where we left off.  Though I decided to break up the lessons into two parts and only work on it every other day.  The days in between, we worked on Handwriting.
  • For Math, we picked up with Right Start Math again.  I decided to just work at her pace in order to make sure she is getting the concepts.  I am now convinced it is more important for her to understand what she is learning than it is to make it through the curriculum.  




Sugar Plum loves using the dry erase board.

She also liked spreading glue around on some paper with her finger.

She spent time coloring.

And worked several puzzles.

But her favorite thing this week was watching Elmo's Potty Time!



Sweet Pea always loves to measure her verse card to herself.

Both Sweet Pea and Little Pumpkin really liked making the treasure box, especially since it included glitter!



Sweet Pea's cutting skills are really improving.

 Everyone got in on the candy hearts counting using the valentine number matchup cards from COAH.
There was definitely a lot of subtracting involved!





My parents brought the US map for the girls' Tags for a bit of fun geography.

Handwriting Without Tears

PBSkids.org during break time

Right Start Math - learning 100s and 1000s


Tummy time - working on turning his head. 


Working on his touchdowns!




For more preschool fun visit the Preschool Corner at Homeschool Creations.
For more posts on RRSP visit 1+1+1=1.
For other posts on Tot School go to 1+1+1=1.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Yay for trying a new schedule and for it going so smoothly! Looks like a great week and I love the treasure chests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder to go at the child's pace rather than continuing just to finish the curriculum. We do RightStart too and I read that families often do one level over the course of two years rather than one.

    I love your pictures that capture your treasured moments. Looks like a great school week!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails