Thursday, March 10, 2011

On Tuesday's Headlines

On Tuesday, as I was pouring my coffee, I glanced down at the newspaper lying on the counter.  On the front page, one of the headlines was "In-laws marry off widow daughter-in-law."


This immediately caught my attention and peaked my curiosity.  The fact that this made the front page says a lot about the culture here.  

The bride's husband had died 18 months ago.  It was his parents that arranged a new marriage for her.  A very uncommon thing to take place in South Asia.  The article was praising this family and calling them "exemplary".  

If you're interested, you can read the whole article here.

Traditionally, widows are mistreated in South Asia.  It is so good to see one family making a difference and taking a stand against this cultural norm.  
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Very neat.. I love that it made the front page too!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails