Friday, March 11, 2011

On Week 18 of Homeschooling (Part 2) - Kindergarten


There wasn't much reading assigned this week for TOG.  We learned about King David and about the Phoenicians. 

 Story of the World map work

We made some "Phoenician" glass using wax paper and crayon shavings.

And made a harp using rubber bands and a hanger.

I tried something new for reading practice this week.
I wrote a message on the wallies chalkboard I got for my birthday and had Little Pumpkin read it and write a response.

{Side note: I love these chalkboards!  They stick to just about any surface and can be easily removed and stuck somewhere else!  I found out about them from Jolanthe at Homeschool Creations.}

We also played a few rounds of hangman using some CVC words.

And she read a new Saxon Phonics reader.

My parents brought the kids a small microscope with a few premade slides as well as some empty ones.  The girls have been begging me to let them make some, so when we took some vacation a couple weeks ago I had them collect a few "specimens" to use to make some slides.  For science, we actually made some this week.

We examined:
  • A strand of hair from Mommy, Little Pumpkin, and Sweet Pea and compared them
  • A seed from a plant growing outside our hotel
  • Water droplets
  • A feather
  • A leaf from one of the trees we saw while on a hike during vacation

Little Pumpkin also enjoyed the green sensory bin she and her sisters helped me put together.

And she probably played the Fashion Math iPhone app over a dozen times!
Read more about our favorite apps here.

My favorite quote of the week from her was while she was listening to some music on the Best Classical Music Free app: "Mommy, I love Beethoven.  Can I listen to Beethoven?"


For more Weekly Wrap-Ups, check out Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

Photobucket

6 comments:

  1. so cute Shannon! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love yours. Thanks for your encouragement. I'm now following yours.

    Great to meet you!

    Love in Christ,
    Traci

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a good week! I love that picture of her reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shannon! Your little ones are adorable! We will be making a rubber band/hanger harp coming up this week :)

    Also thanks for stopping by my blog, I am now following yours. I love your sensory bin, I really need to start making those too!

    Have a great weekend!
    Kattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Love the glass and harp! Very creative! Stopping in from Weekly Wrap-up!

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi again! I get my lapbook printables (free) from www.homeschooshare.com. It's a GREAT resources for lapbooks based on theme or book. S's About Me lapbook is a combination of "About Me" and "My Body". We used lots of books and videos to "run out" the lapbook! Have fun!

    Jessy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun week! I'll have to go check out those chalkboards.
    Janet W
    http://homeschoolblogger.com/wdworkman/

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails