After Little Pumpkin fell in love with history, thanks to The Story of the World, I decided to more thoroughly investigate The Well Trained Mind. Much of our curriculum for first grade is what I chose using this book as my guide. Some of my decisions to diverge from the recommended selections in The Well Trained Mind are based on my preference to incorporate Scripture into our lessons (handwriting, spelling, and science for example) or because we were frustrated with the selection (phonics - Ordinary Parent's Guide was always like pulling teeth!)
- A Beka's Handbook for Reading
- McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader (also available on Flipkart.com for those of you in South Asia)
- The Story of the World Vol. 2 (available as a PDF download or audiobook download or on Flipkart.com)
- and Activity Book 2 (also available as a PDF download or on Flipkart.com)
- supplementing with The Mystery of History Vol. 2(audiobook download also available)
- and Historical Timeline Figures (from Homeschool in the Woods
- Selections from Sonlight K and Grade 1 books
- Math storybooks suggested in The Well Trained Mind
- Modern Curriculum Press Spelling Workout A (also available on Flipkart.com)
- A Reason for Spelling Level A and teacher's guidebook
- Writing With Ease Level 1 (available as a PDF download or on Flipkart.com) FYI: the instructor's guide is not necessary; all that you need is in the student workbook
- Selections from First Favorites from Veritas Press
Since this is such a huge transition from Kindergarten, we've been adding a few things at a time. We are currently doing Phonics, Math, and Grammar 5 times a week and History 3 times a week. Art we do on Saturdays when we have time. I am waiting on our Handwriting books to arrive before we dive into that 5 days a week. And I would like to get a bit further along in our phonics book before we pull out the Spelling, Writing, and Reading Comprehension. We are also finishing up SOTW vol. 1 before we start vol. 2 and before we add Science into the schedule.
So, that's it! We are looking forward to this year and all we are going to learn!