Tuesday, November 22, 2011

On Ephesians 4:22-24

As I was studying this passage this morning, I pulled out my Greek-English word study and also looked up some of the words in Strong's concordance on my pocket sword app.

Let me share with you from the ESV:

"...put off your old self, which belongs to your former manner of life and is corrupt through deceitful desires, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness."

Alternative words from the original Greek as taken from Strong:

Old - worn out
Former - previous/prior
Manner - behavior
Corrupt - ruined
Deceitful - delusion, deceivableness
Desires - longing (especially for what is forbidden)
Renewed - renovated
Spirit - rational soul
Mind - thought, feeling, or will
New - fresh
Created - fabricated

So this passage could also read:

Put off your worn out self, which belongs to your previous behavior of life and is ruined through delusions and deceivableness of longing (especially for what is forbidden), and be renovated in the rational soul of your thoughts, feelings, and will, and put on the fresh self, fabricated after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Maybe because I'm a woman who enjoys a beautiful home, these words resonated with me and seemed to echo thoughts of self as home. And i want to be a woman who lets the Lord renovate my heart especially in my home - as a wife and mother.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Wow... thanks for this... I really needed it today - over 3 months after you wrote it. I'm struggling with "delusions and deceivableness of longing" (especially for unnecessary things!!!) The Lord really spoke to me thru your words and as I submit to Him (and to authorities in my life) I am feeling more and more at peace :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails