Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Follow up to Natural, Frugal, and Effective

A couple of you asked for details on using apple cider vinegar (ACV) as a hair conditioner so I thought I'd just write another post explaining what I do.

Let me first just say that I am a huge fan of the creation of vinegar.  God is so creative and clever!  I really enjoy finding the next use for vinegar.

Not only do I use ACV for a hair conditioner, but I use white vinegar as a fabric softener too (just add it to the fabric softener spot on my washing machine and that's it!  I don't even use dryer sheets and get soft towels - even when they are line dried.)


Just last week we used white vinegar to tackle the ivy and weeds in the backyard.  We will probably have to take another shot at killing that incredulously stubborn ivy, but I am sure my vinegar will pull through for me.


I've also used white vinegar to kill a nasty plantars wart.  Gross I know, but I tried everything, including wart remover, and the only thing that worked was soaking my feet in vinegar water.

And of course, I clean with vinegar.  I don't like the smell of vinegar so I have an order of peppermint essential oil and some vanilla beans on the way (which should arrive today - I'm super excited!), and I have a jar of vinegar in process of becoming infused by lemon peels.  I hope to also infuse some vinegar with orange peels soon.

So, onto using ACV as a hair conditioner.

I went to the store, bought a bottle of ACV, and put it in my shower.  Instead of using my normal conditioner, I poured a little ACV on my hair, especially at the tips, until I could tell all of my hair was soft from the ACV "conditioner".  Then I rinsed.  It definitely smells when my hair is wet, but once it is dry, it doesn't stink - it simply smells like hair or maybe a hint of the shampoo smell.  And my hair is even a bit softer than when I used normal conditioner. 

So - there ya go.  That's how I use ACV to condition my hair.  I've heard of people putting the vinegar in a ketchup bottle to make it easier for even distribution, and some people add water to the vinegar.  But I just keep it simple and use it straight from the bottle.  Since I'm not a big fan of the smell (though I can deal with it knowing I'm saving money and using something that is totally natural), I will probably add some vanilla beans (if my husband doesn't make me donate all of the vanilla beans to his coffee roasting endeavors) to the jar to infuse the ACV and tone down the smell. 

Let me know how it goes and enjoy saving money!
 Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Very cool! I am going to have to try this.. only issue I see with this is my hair takes a REALLY long time to dry..but totally worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hair takes a long time to dry too. Do you use a hair dryer or just air dry?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaah! Shannon's blogging again!

    I just can't tell you how happy this makes me! It makes me very very happy!

    Love you bunches!

    ~TIffany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree with Tiffany! Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Lee says he can always tell how emotionally healthy I am based on the number of blogs I am posting. So he's pretty happy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shannon, I love you blogs, and I plan on trying to make the laundry detergent, dish washing soap...and I will especially try the vinegar. I already have some in my house! Thanks for sharing your secrets! I really appreciate it! Kym

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though it sounds weird, I read in a "nature spa" type book about ACV balancing out itchy dry skin. Every once in a while in the winter when my skin just seems out of wack, I use dilute ACV as "soap" and things get back into balance. Weird how acid can actually make you feel more moisturized. Thank you lovely acidic skin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon - another use for white vinegar - it heals athletes feet (or more accurately kills tinea pedis fungus). I agree the smell is horrible but it works!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails