Wednesday, July 25, 2012

On Proverbs 31:17

On Monday, I shared a few thoughts I had from Proverbs 31:25 on wise women choosing well made, elegant, modest clothing.  As I was reading Proverbs 31 again, I saw that verse 17 also speaks to a woman's clothing.

"She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong." (ESV)
"She girdeth her loins with strength and strengtheneth her arms." (KJV)

When looking up these words in Strongs Hebrew, this is what I discovered:
  • dresses/girdeth can mean able to put on or restrain
  • herself/her loins comes from a root meaning to be slender and refers to the waist or the small of the back
  • with strength applies to force, security, majesty, and praise
 
So, here's what I get from this:

The wise woman (she) clothes herself (girds her loins) in a way that allows her to work, provides security/modesty, and is majestic and praiseworthy (with strength).  She keeps her hands busy at work, strengthening her arms.  And she is slender.

What do you think?  Are you dressing with strength?  I think I have a lot to work on...starting with that slender part.

The photo is just to show you how much I like food.  :)  

FYI: I didn't really put my finger in my brother's wedding cake. My brother, on the other hand, really did put his finger in my wedding cake.

 Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Hehe - LOVE that picture!

    Never heard ANYONE mention slender with this scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I was a bit surprised/convicted when I read that. Although, slender is relative for sure. I think your genes have a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails