Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Gift # 67: On Saying Goodbye

Little Pumpkin was crying.  She was frustrated with her school work.  But that was just the facade.  After I gave her some time to settle her feelings, I sat and talked with her.  Tears were still streaming down her lightly freckled cheeks.  She told me, "I don't want to go to school tomorrow.  I'm scared."  "Scared of what, Sweetie?" I ask.  She shrugs her shoulders.  "Are you scared to say goodbye?"  Again, she shrugs.  But the tears come again, harder.  I pull her into my lap, "It's hard to say goodbye.  It's sad.  I understand." And we cry together.  I don't want her to hurt.  But pain is part of His plan of drawing us to Him.  Just like this.  Daughter weeping in mother's arms, physical arms of Jesus.

And I stumble for words, pray for wisdom.  "When I was your age, I had to move too."  She tilts her head up to look at me, still sniffling.  "I had to leave my friends.  But my best friend made me something to help me remember her.  Would you like to do that?  Would you like to make something to give to your friends so they can remember?"  She searches my eyes, then nods.

So we make cards, heart-shaped.  And she dresses in her Christmas dress so she looks her best.  We have a mini photo shoot in the backyard and print out the best photo, gluing it to heart-shaped card.  Maybe the glue will hold her heart together.  Maybe we won't fall apart as we say goodbye. 


Then we read of Abraham's sacrifice.  And how the Lord provided a ram instead, keeping His promise, blessing all nations through Abraham.  He keeps His promises.  "Does He always keep His promises?"  Yes.  He must.  He is God.  He is holy.  He is faithful.  

And He promises "...everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life." (Matthew 19:29)

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Sweet friend - this broke my heart! It's such a hard part of this life. We explained to the girls that we'll be in the states next year in the fall - now every week Ethni asks if we can just move there. I'm dreading the goodbyes a whole year in advance. Such good words for me to read and process.

    Praying for you all as you say goodbye and enjoy the last few weeks well!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This even made me tear up! You're such an amazing mom! I'm going to miss all of you!

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation, glorify the Lord, proclaim his goodness. I'd love it if you did.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails